Can I drive the vehicle while in probate and sell it when all is done? 4 Answers as of June 05, 2014

My father passed away. I live in another state. I am the executor and I am listed as a driver on his insurance. He owes $2000. All payments are current and bank has been notified.

Frederick & Frederick PLC | James P Frederick
The answer is "Probably." As long as you have been appointed by the court, you are legally authorized to take control of and secure the assets. You are also entitled to a fee for compensation, and the car could be part of that fee. The problem that I see is that, by using the car, you are decreasing its value. If someone else is the intended recipient of the vehicle, then you are technically self-dealing, by using the car. The facts matter, and you have not shared enough in your case to give you a conclusive answer. I would ask the attorney for the estate.
Without more details it is impossible to render a firm opinion. Make the payment for the car and then insurance out of your pocket, or out of the estate or the car will disappear, the bank does not care, or lose its rights, because he is deceased.
Law Office of Pamela Braynon | Pamela Y. Braynon
You can unless there is a will designating the car to someone else.
Hamblin Law Office | Sally Hamblin
You should go to Secretary of state and have registration placed in your name. Take proof you are a child of his. May take papers from probate showing you are executor if car in state of Michigan and registration from state of Michigan.