Can I do something after being hurt because I slipped and fell leaving a restaurant? 15 Answers as of August 20, 2015

I rushed to urgent care in mobile and the doctor told me my left leg is broken and I am getting x-rays done after slipping and falling at a restaurant. My wrist is also in great pain as well, and needs x-rays as well. It was rainy, but there was no slippery floor sign and several other people fell in the same spot that I did. It happened yesterday.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Ty Wilson Law | Ty Wilson
Call a personal injury attorney promptly. There is evidence that needs to be secured prior to any changes. Good luck.
Answer Applies to: Georgia
Replied: 8/20/2015
Law Offices of Ronald A. Steinberg & Associates | Ronald A. Steinberg, BA, MA, JD
If you can prove that 1) the restaurant knew, or reasonably should have known about the defect, 2) in enough time to fix the problem before you came upon the scene, and 3) that you COULD NOT see the problem before you fell, then you may have a viable case. Like being pregnant, it is all or none.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 8/20/2015
Kelaher Law Offices, P.A.
Kelaher Law Offices, P.A. | James P Kelaher
Many people believe that because an accident happens on someone's (or some business's) property, the property owner is responsible. That isn't the law...the law says the property owner has to be negligent before they can be held responsible, and negligence is a "reasonable man" standard. You might want to consult a personal injury attorney for him (or her) to flush out the facts of the case. If he or she doesn't take the case, you most likely won't have to pay a consultation fee.
Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 8/20/2015
Gregory M Janks, PC
Gregory M Janks, PC | Gregory M Janks
It is possible, but harder in MI than most other states. Consult a local attorney who regularly handles these matters for an in depth discussion of your particular facts so that an analysis can be made.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 8/20/2015
Law Offices of George H. Shers | George H. Shers
Get the proper medical treatment and then see some personal injury lawyers. ?Slip and fall cases are difficult to win but if you can get witnesses that other slipped in the same spot you did then management may have been on notice and should have done something.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 8/20/2015
    The Law Offices of Russell Gregory, P.C.
    The Law Offices of Russell Gregory, P.C. | Russell Gregory
    You should definitely proceed immediately. The matter needs to be investigated, and waiting can result in losing evidence. While slip and fall laws are difficult for injured persons in Michigan (mainly due to the ?open and obvious? doctrine), claims can still be pursued, if they?re set up quickly and right.
    Answer Applies to: Michigan
    Replied: 8/20/2015
    Harris Kuhn Law Firm, LLP
    Harris Kuhn Law Firm, LLP | James Harris
    The sooner the facts can be investigated and documented the more useful the information will be. If you know the names of any of the other folks that fell and witnesses you should write them all down. Where any photos taken? The video surveillance for the restaurant needs to be preserved as soon as possible. The store will erase them in short order. A spoliation letter must be sent putting them on notice. You should talk to an attorney before discussing with the restaurant insurance adjuster who will likely contact you. Make sure your doctors know the details of what caused you to fall and how you were injured. The medical record is a critical piece of evidence. I would need to know in which part of Nebraska this happened? Feel free to call or email to discuss. We do not charge for initial consultations.
    Answer Applies to: Nebraska
    Replied: 8/20/2015
    Law Offices of Carl L. Brown | Carl L. Brown
    If the evidence shows the restaurant was negligent, you may certainly have a personal injury case.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 8/19/2015
    Adler Law Group, LLC
    Adler Law Group, LLC | Lawrence Adler
    uou may have a claim if you can demonstrate that the owner knew or should have known of the slippery condition and failed to take reasonable efforts such as putting down a carpet to stop the fall
    Answer Applies to: Connecticut
    Replied: 8/19/2015
    Law Offices of Richard M. Levy P.C.
    Law Offices of Richard M. Levy P.C. | Richard M. Levy
    Consult a lawyer.
    Answer Applies to: New York
    Replied: 8/19/2015
    James E. Hasser, Jr. P.C.
    James E. Hasser, Jr. P.C. | Jim Hasser
    If you can prove that several other people had fallen before you fell in that same spot for the same reason, you may have a case. Consider consulting an experienced injury lawyer familiar with premises liability slip and fall cases.
    Answer Applies to: Alabama
    Replied: 8/19/2015
    Chalat Hatten Koupal & Banker PC
    Chalat Hatten Koupal & Banker PC | Linda Chalat
    You may have a claim against the restaurant, but this type of claim is very dependent upon the facts of the accident. To learn more about your slip and fall claim, please visit Premises Liability (this is the legal term for a "slip and fall"). We have helped many clients with this type of claim and would be happy to discuss your options with you. I suggest that you contact Chris Koupal, a partner in our firm with extensive experience in premises liability cases. Chris will be able to answer your questions and provide advice if you wish to file a lawsuit. I am copying him in on this reply so he will be expecting your call or email. We look forward to helping you.
    Answer Applies to: Colorado
    Replied: 8/19/2015
    Musilli Brennan Associates PLLC
    Musilli Brennan Associates PLLC | John F Brennan
    Slip and fall cases have become extremely difficult to win in Michigan, and each circumstance is different and should be reviewed by an attorney to see whether or not a viable cause of action exists.
    Answer Applies to: Michigan
    Replied: 8/19/2015
    Law Ofices of Edwin K. Niles | Edwin K. Niles
    Slip and fall cases are, by their nature, difficult. First, you must be able to prove negligence on the part of the property owner/occupant. Negligence could be defined as the failure to use REASONABLE care; the owner is not a guarantor. To do this, you must be able to prove that the owner put the slippery substance there, or that they had prior knowledge of the hazard and failed to take care of it promptly. Second, they will claim ?comparative fault?, meaning that you had a duty to watch where you were walking, and thus are partly at fault. The result is that most lawyers are reluctant to take a slip and fall case unless there are substantial damages, and there are at least some arguments to be made on the question of fault
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 8/19/2015
    Barry Rabovsky & Associates
    Barry Rabovsky & Associates | Barry Rabovsky
    You may have a case against the restaurant. It would be important to review the facts concerning your accident, as well as pictures of the accident scene. The medical treatment that you had would also be an important factor in your case. Thank you for your email.
    Answer Applies to: Illinois
    Replied: 8/19/2015
Click to View More Answers:
12 3 Free Legal QuestionsConnect with a local attorney