Can I petition for my boyfriend if I already petitioned ex husband? 13 Answers as of June 02, 2013

I would like to petition my boyfriend but I have also petitioned my ex husband.

Oltarsh and Associates, PC
Oltarsh and Associates, PC | Jennifer Oltarsh
There is nothing legally to prohibit you but you will have to demonstrate the good faith of the marriage and they may be more exacting on the proof.
Calderón Seguin PLC
Calderón Seguin PLC | Ofelia L. Calderon
You can as long as the first petition was based on a bona fide marriage. Prior petitions make things more complicated, but it is possible. I dont know the details of your initial case, but I recommend that you at least consult with someone about it before going forward.
You can petition for a second husband. However, you must keep in mind that USCIS may look into the most recent marriage and your prior marriage to insure that your marriage is bona fide. If USCIS suspects that you marry individuals to help them get documents, they can deny the petition for your boyfriend. You also need to keep in mind that you filed an affidavit of support for your ex-husband and depending upon how long ago that occurred, you may not meet the income threshold to sponsor your boyfriend. This potential issue can be cured by a co-sponsor.
Wildes & Weinberg, P.C. | Leon Wildes
If your marriges are legitimate you can file for your boyfriend when you marry even though you once filed for a prior husband. But only one at a time as we do not allow bigamy.
You are allowed to file for more than one person. DHS will look carefully at BOTH marriages, to ensure that you are not a person who is committing serial marriage fraud. Be able to document the first marriage as much as the second.