Can I dispute a Marital Settlement Agreement before it goes in front of the judge? 4 Answers as of November 16, 2010

I think that I should not have signed my MSA in mediation because I think I could have gotten more out of the settlement. Can I dispute it?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Law Office of Curry & Westgate
Law Office of Curry & Westgate | Patrick Curry
It can be done in certain circumstances. if you need representation, call office and make appointment.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 11/16/2010
Goldberg Jones
Goldberg Jones | Zephyr Hill
Usually there is a way, but I cannot tell you how until I have the agreement and all the facts. Whether me, or another good attorney in town, you should meet with one and find out what your options are. Sorry I do not have a simpler answer for you. I would tell you if I did.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 11/16/2010
Michael Apicella
Michael Apicella | Apicella Law and Mediation
It depends on what terms of the MSA you now do not agree with, and why you do not agree with such terms. Keep in mind that the MSA is a contract, and is typically enforceable even if not "merged" into the final judgment of dissolution. I.e., it is enforceable as a stand along document, regardless of what happens with the dissolution process. So, unless some aspect of entering into the contract was not proper, such as improper disclosures by your spouse, you will be bound by the contract. I would strongly suggest that you consult with a local family law attorney in which you can discuss all the facts and your options.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 11/15/2010
Click to View More Answers: