Can I dispute the false record on my credit report or must I just wait for its effect to disappear in time? 7 Answers as of April 08, 2014

In 2012, a public record was added to my credit report in the form of a court judgment. This occurred after I had my wisdom teeth removed and my mother (I was 19 at the time of the surgery and a full-time college student) who had said from the beginning would be responsible for the payments failed to pay the orthodontist and kept the bills in my name. I was made unaware of this because I was away from home at college. The payments were not made so long that they filed (what I think was) a small claims suit for the money. I was kept completely unaware of all of this until the police showed up one day while I was visiting to issue a notice of the court date. My mother then said she would take care of it, but the judgment was still put onto my credit score and she never gave me any details of the court proceedings or judgment at all. It continues to seriously affect my score, which is impeding my ability to find stable housing.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Stephens Gourley & Bywater | David A. Stephens
You can dispute it in writing.
Answer Applies to: Nevada
Replied: 4/8/2014
SmithMarco, P.C.
SmithMarco, P.C. | Larry P. Smith
Unfortunately, since the judgment was actually entered against you, it will remain on your credit report. The only way to get it removed would be to go vacate the judgment. This can be done by proving that at the time of the service of the complaint, you were not living at the service address.
Answer Applies to: Illinois
Replied: 4/8/2014
The Law Office of Darren Aronow, PC
The Law Office of Darren Aronow, PC | Darren Aronow
It is still a judgment. You would have to over turn the judgment before you can remove from credit.
Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 4/8/2014
Coulter's Law
Coulter's Law | Coulter K. Richardson
You could file a motion to vacate the default judgment, but your chances of success are low, based on your facts circumstances. Additionally, even if you got the judgment vacated, you would ultimately be liable as you presumably signed the forms for the surgery. Unless your signature was forged by your mother on the intake forms. Then you would actually have a shot.
Answer Applies to: New Jersey
Replied: 4/8/2014
Cameron Totten | Cameron Totten
Unfortunately, it does not appear to be a false record as a judgment was entered against you. You must either set aside or satisfy the judgment. As you were served with the complaint, it may be difficult to set aside the judgment. Also, the judgment may not just go away. The creditor may seek to enforce the judgment against you through, e.g., wage garnishment or attaching bank accounts. The dispute with your mother does not impact the creditors right to enforce its judgment against you.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 4/8/2014
    Law Office of Joshua R.I. Cohen
    Law Office of Joshua R.I. Cohen | Joshua Cohen
    Your were over 18 when this debt was incurred. Unless there is a written contract stating your mother was solely liable, you're on the hook. You can still dispute, but not likely to succeed.
    Answer Applies to: Connecticut
    Replied: 4/8/2014
    Edelman, Combs, Latturner & Goodwin, LLC | Daniel A. Edelman
    If there in fact is a judgment, the credit bureaus are entitled to report it. If you were served, or service was made on a member of your household, the judgment is valid. If you pay the judgment, Illinois law entitles you to have it vacated and the case dismissed, after which the credit bureaus are no longer entitled to report it. The underlying debt could be reported as a paid collection item for 7 years from default.
    Answer Applies to: Illinois
    Replied: 4/7/2014
Click to View More Answers: