Can I defend myself against a fraudulent lawsuit in California? 3 Answers as of March 23, 2011

I was in a minor accident today, in which I accidentally bumped into another car. No damage was done, and no one was injured. I was so nervous, I did not get the other drivers insurance papers. Can I protect myself from being set up by her? I am worried she may make something up and sue.

Jahangiri & Associates
Jahangiri & Associates | Ali Jahangiri
When there is an accident, you should get all the information from the other person (including drivers license number, phone number and insurance papers. Take pictures of both vehicles always helps as well. In your situation, you did what you could at the moment. There is no other protection or preemptive way to prevent a lawsuit. I would call your insurance company and give them all the details of your accident. If you have more questions, I would contact a personal injury attorney once it's necessary. No need to incur additional costs right now.
Law Offices of Geoffrey Nwosu
Law Offices of Geoffrey Nwosu | Geoffrey Nwosu
You have the right to appear in court and represent yourself. However, that may not be the approach for you. You start by reporting this accident to your insurance company to see if they will defend you. If you do not have insurance coverage, you may retain a professional injury attorney to represent you. It is possible that the injured party suffered soft tissue injury even without any major damage to their car or automobile.