Can I cut my probation time if I contact a lawyer? 10 Answers as of February 29, 2012

I had a perfect record until my first offense with a repeat offender. He was my ex boyfriend and I got caught trying to change him, a broken being. I am about to finish a 3 year probation sentence, I have 10 months left now. I am a low risk offender in the kiosk report system only, can I cut my probation time? Do I need to contact a lawyer?

Law Office of Geoffrey M. Yaryan
Law Office of Geoffrey M. Yaryan | Geoffrey M. Yaryan
You would have to make a motion in the court of conviction to terminate probation. Since you didn't mention whether it was formal or informal probation, or whether it was a felony or misdemeanor, I can advise you on how to accomplish this.
It is possible to end your probation early. Contact me with your facts and I can tell you what is best for you.
Law Office of Michael Bialys THE DUI MAN
Law Office of Michael Bialys THE DUI MAN | Michael Bialys
Under California statute 1203.3 you can early terminate you probation,. usually the courts will do this if you've completed all terms and conditions and you have done over half of your time.
It is possible to get your probation terminated early, then get the conviction expunged. I would recommend getting a lawyer to handle this for you. If you would like to discuss this further with me, you can call me. There will not be a charge for that call and consultation.
Wise Law Group
Wise Law Group | Michael J. Wise, Esq
A lawyer should be able to help you file a motion to terminate probation early.
    Seeking early termination is done by proper written motion on good cause, with supporting declarations of facts and proof sufficient to convince the judge to do so. If you dont know how to do these things, then hire an attorney that does. If serious about doing so, feel free to contact me. I will be happy to help you use whatever defenses you may have.

You have another option to explore. You can consider getting the conviction expunged at the same time. It would help in getting employment for the rest of your life. Many felony and misdemeanor convictions can sometimes be expunged from criminal records by proper application and Petition to the court, but only if there was no prison time served or even sentenced and reduced to probation, if it was not for certain sex and Domestic Violence crimes, if all terms of sentencing and probation [and at least one year of probation] are completed and finished, and if there are no new charges pending. If successful, the conviction would be retroactively reduced to a misdemeanor and then withdrawn and the charges dismissed. That does not remove the conviction, but merely changes the record to show conviction reversed and dismissed by expungement. When applying for a job in the private sector, you generally do not have to disclose a conviction if it was expunged. However, the conviction is still a prior for purposes of repeat offense, and must be disclosed on any application for government and professional employment and licensing, bonding, security clearance, etc. The licensing agency and employer then can decide whether you are barred from licensing and employment because of your conviction.

If you are serious about doing this, and you think you qualify, feel free to contact me for the legal help you will need.
    Yes, you can terminate probation early, via a Motion pursuant to Penal Code sections 1203.3 and 1203.4, and yes, you would stand a better chance of success if you hire an attorney.
    Law Office of Andrew Roberts
    Law Office of Andrew Roberts | Andrew Stephen Roberts
    If you paid your fines, did whatever else required of you it is quite possible that you could ask the judge to modify your sentence and cut your probation time with the help of an attorney.
    Yes, you will need to hire an attorney to do an early termination of probation. Typically the reason should be job-related or immigration.