Can I convert a tourist visa to a working visa? 4 Answers as of October 16, 2010

The question title says it all. I would like to convert my tourist visa to a working visa as I have lined up employment from a very reputable firm. Can I do this? If so, how?

The tourist visa is normally not a visa from which you can adjust status to permanent residency. To do so would raise suspicions of coming with the temporary visa with a motive to stay permanently, which would mean fraud under the law, making you ineligible for any immigration benefit. However, if the employer is wanting to sponsor you for an H-1B work visa, or an L-1A intracompany transfer, or others, and they qualify for a Labor Certification, I may be of help, and you may be eligible. Call or e-mail me to set up a consultation with you.
Law Offices of Danielle Nelisse
Law Offices of Danielle Nelisse | Danielle Nelisse
The answer is "sometimes." It depends on your tourist visa, the type of work visa you are seeking, and of course how much time you have left on the tourist visa.
Yes, if you entered on a visa (not visa waiver program) and you have a job offer and the employer petitions for your work visa and it is approved, you can change your status from the visa you are currently under to the work visa status within the US and not have to go back to your home country.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or how I can be of further assistance to you in this matter.
JCS Immigration & Visa Law Office
JCS Immigration & Visa Law Office | Jack C. Sung
You may be able to file a change of status to H1b if it's a professional job and you have a college degree (qualified for the job).