Can I convert my tourist visa to a working visa while I am in the US? 12 Answers as of January 17, 2011

Can I convert my tourist visa to a working visa while I am in the US?

Carlos E. Sandoval, P.A.
Carlos E. Sandoval, P.A. | Carlos Sandoval
You may file for a change of status. What is important is to make sure that you qualify for the petition.
Yes as long as the Petition is filed (received) before the tourist visa expires and it is a B-1 or B-2 and not a Visa waiver program tourist visa.

I would be happy to assist with your case. We do charge for consultations $350 per hour - but whatever you pay for the consultation would then be a credit toward the fees for your case if we are retained for further work on your behalf after the consultation.
The Vega Law Firm
The Vega Law Firm | Linda Vega
You may adjust your status in the U.S. and even change your Visa into a Non-immigrant visa. You may not just simply apply for a work visa without some ability to do so under Immigration Law. I think this is what you asked.

Work Permits are different and are obtainable through an ongoing application process. For example, if you currently have TPS you also have the ability to work.
That depends upon your intent upon entry and if you have an offer of employment.
Yes, you may. However, to change your status from B1/B2 to an H1B (the most common form of a "working visa") you must be petitioned by an employer. Determining if you qualify for an H1B visa requires a careful review and analysis of many facts (your education, experience, type of position being offered, employer's business, financial status, etc.) and should be done by an experienced immigration attorney.

Also, the available H1B visas are running out, so you should start on this immediately.
    Law Office of Baoqin Wang
    Law Office of Baoqin Wang | Baoqin Wang
    It is possible if you have a job offer from a qualified employer.
    Calderón Seguin PLC
    Calderón Seguin PLC | Ofelia L. Calderon
    Yes, if you have an employment-based sponsor for a professional position, you are qualified for the position, and otherwise are admissible to the U.S.
    JCS Immigration & Visa Law Office
    JCS Immigration & Visa Law Office | Jack C. Sung
    Yes you can convert your B1/B2 tourist visa to work visa if

1. You still have your I-94 card

2. Your I-94 card has not expired yet

3. You did not enter the US with a visa waiver (ESTA visa)

4. You have an employer who is offering you a professional job position.
    Pauly P.A.
    Pauly P.A. | Clemens W. Pauly
    If you entered with a B2 tourist visa then you can request a change of your status from B2 to any other work visa status, provided that the underlying petition is approved. In most instances this requires your future US employer to file a petition. If you entered under the terms of the Visa Waiver Program, then you cannot change your authorized stay in the US and must first depart and apply for the work visa at a US Consulate overseas.

It is very important that you and your future employer seek immediate assistance of an immigration lawyer to properly guide you through this process.
    Yes, if you can find an employer willing to sponsor you for an H1B visa.
    441 Legal Group, Inc.
    441 Legal Group, Inc. | Gareth H. Bullock
    It is possible.