Can I convert my Chapter 13 bankruptcy to a Chapter 7? 5 Answers as of October 01, 2010

I cannot pay my Chapter 13 payments. This is because I was laid off recently and cannot find any work anywhere. I was told that my best option would probably be to convert my Chapter 13 into a Chapter 7 bankruptcy. Is this my best option at this point?

Law Office of Barbara Seeley Curtis
Law Office of Barbara Seeley Curtis | Barbara Curtis
You may be able to. Please call me for instructions.
Sussman & Associates
Sussman & Associates | Mitchell Sussman
It is hard to say without knowing more facts as to what your best option is. but yes, you can in most cases convert from 13 to 7.
This can only be determined after a comprehensive consultation. There are simply insufficient facts here to answer your question as to whether it's your best option. Converting to Chapter 7 should be OK, but if you have non-exempt assets you could lose them. It also depends on how long you've been in the Ch. 13 and how many payments you've made. If you're only 1 month in, that's a problem. 42 months in, not a problem.
Ariano & Reppucci
Ariano & Reppucci | Chris Ariano
That is your best option at this point. Otherwise, your case will be dismissed and you will essentially be at square one.
Yes, you can perform such a conversion.