Can I collect lost income from an accident where my vehicle I make my income with was disabled? 18 Answers as of November 12, 2013

It is a semi truck that was down for 10 days.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Stephens Gourley & Bywater | David A. Stephens
Yes, as long as you can prove the amount of income lost, less expenses saved.
Answer Applies to: Nevada
Replied: 11/12/2013
McMahan Law Firm
McMahan Law Firm | Van D. McMahan
Yes, you can recover for lost income or wages from either the person that hit you or that person's insurance or your uninsured insurance if applicable. The key of course is that you must prove that the accident was the fault of the person who hit you. The best advice I can possibly give you is to see an attorney before you try to deal with the insurance company directly. The insurance company will treat you extremely nice and make you think that they are on your side. They are not! See an attorney who will be on your side. Good luck and God bless!
Answer Applies to: Tennessee
Replied: 11/6/2013
Law Ofices of Edwin K. Niles | Edwin K. Niles
Yes, if you can document the loss.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 11/6/2013
Law Offices of Ronald A. Steinberg & Associates | Ronald A. Steinberg, BA, MA, JD
You can try.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 11/6/2013
Pete Leehey Law Firm, P.C.
Pete Leehey Law Firm, P.C. | Pete Leehey
There are not enough facts in the question you asked to give an answer that I am completely comfortable with. As a general matter, if you are involved in a crash with your semi that is somebody else's fault, then the damages that flow from that crash are the responsibility of the negligent party.
Answer Applies to: Iowa
Replied: 11/6/2013
    Wayne J. Wimer, Inc. P.S.
    Wayne J. Wimer, Inc. P.S. | Wayne J. Wimer
    The simple answer is yes. If you sustained injuries and damages (including loss of use of the semi), then you are entitled to be made whole by payment for the full extent of the provable losses.
    Answer Applies to: Washington
    Replied: 11/6/2013
    The Law Office of Harry E. Hudson, Jr.
    The Law Office of Harry E. Hudson, Jr. | Harry E. Hudson, Jr.
    You can sue for it and are owed those damages.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 11/6/2013
    Frank Law Group, P.C.
    Frank Law Group, P.C. | Brett E. Rosenthal
    Yes, anything consequential loss resulting from the accident is recoverable, however the claimed loss must be reasonably related to the accident and your income history in the 6 months before the incident should be easily established, which would assume would support your contended losses.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 11/6/2013
    WEISSMAN LAW FIRM | I.Donald Weissman
    The short answer is, yes. There are conditions and requirements for such a claim. It depends on details and circumstances to support the claim.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 11/6/2013
    Robert C. Slim - Attorney at Law
    Robert C. Slim - Attorney at Law | Robert C. Slim
    Yes you can, but at some point, the law would require you to mitigate your damages. "Mitigate" is a fancy legal word meaning "to lessen," "to avoid" or "to make less severe." One question you would have to face is whether you should have rented a replacement truck, made your deliveries, and sue for what you were out on the rental expenses.
    Answer Applies to: Texas
    Replied: 11/6/2013
    Belushin Law Firm, P.C.
    Belushin Law Firm, P.C. | Vel Belushin
    Unless you are at fault in the accident, it might be possible considering how much it would be.
    Answer Applies to: New York
    Replied: 11/6/2013
Click to View More Answers:
12 3 4 Free Legal QuestionsConnect with a local attorney