Can I collect back child support from my ex? 16 Answers as of June 11, 2013

Can one collect back child support from an ex whom is now collecting social security disability insurance?

Generally, yes. But, pursuing back child support and actually getting it are two different things. If your ex doesn't have anything more than SS disability, he probably can't pay much, or anything, toward the arrearages. You should contact the local child support enforcement office in your county of residence to see if they can assist in the collection process.
Harris Law Firm
Harris Law Firm | Jennifer C. Robins
You may be able to collect back owed child support. It depends on whether you had an order directing your ex to pay child support and how much they actually paid. If there is an arrearage, you may be able to go after the social security payments to reduce the arrearage. This can be a specialized area of family law, so I would recommend you meet with an attorney and review your circumstances, in order to determine what the next step should be.
Apple Law Firm PLLC
Apple Law Firm PLLC | David Goldman
If there has been an Order directing the payment of child support from the obligor then yes, you can collect the child support arrearages if the obligor is in violation of a previously court ordered obligation. Please contact me personally to arrange a time to discuss your options.
Law Office of John C. Volz
Law Office of John C. Volz | John C. Volz
Yes, you can. If you file documents with Child Support Services they will be able to assist you in obtaining your back child support.
    Law Office of Richard B. Kell
    Law Office of Richard B. Kell | Richard B. Kell
    It depends on whether there was a support order already in place. If not, then you cannot collect any retroactive support. However, you should definitely pursue child support now that he has social security income. Social security would pay the child support on his behalf.
    It can be done, but you need DCSS to do it for you. Department of Child support services.
    Goldberg Jones
    Goldberg Jones | Zephyr Hill