Can I clear my criminal record after being caught stealing? 3 Answers as of May 18, 2011

I got caught shoplifting yesterday and I really dont want to have a record and am I going to need an attorney? I a 19.

I would need further details such as do you have any prior arrests even if no convictions, have you obtained Youthful Offender status in the past. If no prior record or arrests, You may be able to get an ACOD ( Adjournment in Contemplation of Dismissal ) which means the case is adjourned, usually for 6 months and if you do not get arrested again the case will be automatically dismissed without you having to go to court on the dismissal date. If you do not get an ACOD, then if you get convicted you may qualify for Youthful Offender status which means the conviction will be vacated and the record sealed. You should hire an attorney.
I'm sorry, but the answer is no, you cannot clear your record, but you may be able to obtain an ACOD which means an Adjournment in Contemplation of Dismissal. If it is offered to you, the Court will postpone your case for six months or a year and if you don't get arrested again, the original case will be dismissed and your record expunged. It's the best you can get for it. Speak to an experienced criminal defense lawyer. Good luck.
You must either retain an attorney or have one assigned if your parents qualify. I have handled thousands of shoplifting cases and have almost always been able to get an ACD or "Adjournment in Contemplation of Dismissal". If you are not re-arrested in the next 6 months the case will be dismissed and you will not have a criminal record. The case is relatively easy to handle and my fee is $500. You will do 1 day community service or attend Stop Shoplifting School. Success in life is all about hard work, determination, and good decision making. As long as you have learned a lesson and make better decisions in the future, get a good education, guard your reputation, and gain the necessary social and communication skills you will be able to be successful and this will not hurt you. Call me for a free consultation anytime, I can have the case dismissed.