Can I clear misdemeanor burglary? 6 Answers as of September 21, 2010

I have served about half of my probation for misdemeanor burglary in California. I need a job and have not been able to get anything because of this charge. Is there any way that I can get this off my record early before probation is served?

Alanna D. Coopersmith, Attorney at Law
Alanna D. Coopersmith, Attorney at Law | Alanna D. Coopersmith
Yes, it is possible to do so. You would need to file a motion to terminate probation early, and a motion to dismiss the conviction. Call me if you would like to discuss.
Yes, contact me with all the facts and I can tell when this can happen.
Many felony and misdemeanor convictions [not infractions] can sometimes be expunged by proper application and Petition to the court, but only if there was no prison time served or even sentenced, if it was not for certain sex and Domestic Violence crimes, if all terms of sentencing and probation [and at least one year of probation] are completed and finished, and if there are no new charges pending. If successful, the conviction would be retroactively withdrawn and the charges dismissed. That does not remove the conviction, but merely changes the record to show conviction reversed and dismissed by expungement. If expunged, you would be able to say no to conviction on most private employment applications. However, the conviction is still a prior for purposes of repeat offense, and must be disclosed on any application for government and professional licensing, bonding, security clearance, etc. The agency and employer then can decide whether you are barred from licensing and employment because of your conviction. If you are serious about doing so, and you think you qualify, feel free to contact me for the legal help you will need.
Law Offices of Juan Dotson
Law Offices of Juan Dotson | Juan Dotson
Yes, you can petition to terminate probation early and expunge your conviction. This is not done very often because the prosecution almost always objects, especially if you have only served half of the probation period. You need a skilled attorney to convince the prosecution to join your motion to terminate probation.
Law Office of Geoffrey M. Yaryan
Law Office of Geoffrey M. Yaryan | Geoffrey M. Yaryan
No, you must complete probation successfully.