Can I clean up my driving record? 5 Answers as of May 24, 2011

My driving record is somewhat extensive. I have several traffic violations and accidents, both fault and no fault. I'm currently unemployed and rigorously seeking employment. The companies/agencies I'm applying for check driving record, and they inquire about it on the applications. I assume they frown on extensive records and may affect my chances for a job. How can I clear mine up, get some of the violations to drop off, work with DMV to decrease the violations shown, etc.? Help

Law Office of Thomas F. Mueller
Law Office of Thomas F. Mueller | Thomas Mueller
There is no way to expunge the normal driving record unless it is in error. It is possible to expunge criminal records and we do a regular business in it. For more info or a fee quote call.
You can't change the past. Your driving record will reflect your driving history and only the passage of time will cause various violations to "drop off" depending on the offense. You can start by paying off all outstanding tickets due and making sure your license is valid. From that point on, stop getting more tickets and eventually your driving record will reflect your being responsible.
How long ago were these violations? If the convictions were within 180 days and there was no trial on the matter (ie. you just paid the fine without attending court, or went to court and entered a guilty plea), then it may be possible to withdraw the plea and the conviction, and set it for trial. Then, if you win at trial, the conviction would go away. I reopened a traffic ticket case successfully this week, and would be happy to speak to you in more detail about your situation.
You're probably too late for traffic school, and since expungements only work for misdemeanors or worse, there is not much you can do.
DMV and other criminal records are forever. Thats why we call them records, as in permanent. DMV convictions do not drop off, nor can they be cleaned up. Most moving violations count as points for three years for penalty and insurance purposes. DUIs count as priors for ten years. Stop getting tickets and your record will sorta clear up over time, by showing you are a changed person. If you have criminal misdemeanor or felony convictions, you can consider getting those expunged; it would help in obtaining and keeping employment. Traffic violations are infractions that can not be expunged.