Can I claim retroactive US citizenship if I applied as a minor? 2 Answers as of March 09, 2011

My adoptive father (US citizen) filed for my US citizenship when I was 16 years old. My adoption was legal and done at the US embassy in Korea when I was 2 years old. When I turned 18, the application was considered void since I was no longer a minor. Now as an adult I was deported from the US due to criminal convictions. I am wondering if I may claim retroactive US citizenship due to the fact that I should of became a US citizen at that time?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
JCS Immigration & Visa Law Office
JCS Immigration & Visa Law Office | Jack C. Sung
You may be able to claim citizenship and if successful you can return to the US as a citizen.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 3/9/2011
Law Office of Immigration & International Trade Law
Law Office of Immigration & International Trade Law | Linda Liang
The question is why it took 16 years for him to file an application? It'd be hard for deportation order is redo. If I were you, I would consider getting a waiver and apply for green card again. If you need help with waiver, please feel free to contact us for assistance. Good luck!
Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 3/8/2011
Click to View More Answers: