Can I claim my daughter on my taxes? How? 3 Answers as of July 09, 2015

My daughter moved in with her father when she was 14 (2011) because I took him to child support recovery. All in all he owed me $30,142 for back child support and equity in our home. I, in turn, had to pay him $153.53 a week which was deducted from this amount until she turned 18 or graduated high school. So, he still owes me $1585.42. She moved back with me last April 2010 and graduated June 2010, I filled out FAFSA and she started college in September 2014. Can I claim her on my taxes?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Ronald K. Nims LLC | Ronald K. Nims
If you're providing more than 1/2 her support, then you can take her deduction.
Answer Applies to: Ohio
Replied: 7/9/2015
Irsfeld, Irsfeld & Younger LLP | Norman H. Green
If you provide a majority of her support, or if you and her father together provide a majority of her support and agree in writing that you can claim her as a dependent, then you can do so.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 7/6/2015
Polsinelli Shughart PC | William B. Prugh
Look at the IRS publication for dependents for the complex rules. Generally, you must provide more than of her support and meet other tests to qualify. Of course, the terms of a divorce decree or settlement agreement may also provide for who claims her as a dependent. I am not sure if the back child support affects this question, but you need to review the rules and guidelines carefully.
Answer Applies to: Missouri
Replied: 7/6/2015
Click to View More Answers: