Can I claim citizenship for my father? 3 Answers as of May 10, 2011

I just became a US citizen a month ago; I’m 35 years old. My father has been working with a US work permit. He went to renew his card, but he was told his case was closed with no further explanation. He arrived in the Us in 1977 and now he is worried. Can he renew his work permit or get his green card. He never received a green card only his work permit and social security. Or can I claim him?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Law Office of Christine Troy
Law Office of Christine Troy | Christine Troy
I don't understand what status your father has. Did he file for asylum or a green card? Did he file in immigration court? If his case was denied, my first question there is wondering if he moved after filing and did not notify DHS. That often leads to denials and your father will be held responsible. If he was in court, then there is probably an order to remove him from the US. I really feel that you should schedule a full consult with a competent immigration attorney so you can understand more about the options he has!
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 5/10/2011
Law Office of Immigration & International Trade Law
Law Office of Immigration & International Trade Law | Linda Liang
You facts are not clear for us to know where your dad stands as far as immigration is concerned. You may be able to petition for him but you can't "claim" for him. You are welcome to contact us for further consultation.
Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 5/10/2011
Nicastro Piscopo, APLC
Nicastro Piscopo, APLC | Louis M. Piscopo
As a US Citizen you can petition your father. It is possible based on the facts you mentioned that he also could be eligible to apply for his Green Card through you in the U.S. If so he can also apply for Employment Authorization/Work Permit. You should speak to an immigration attorney to discuss your father's case.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 5/10/2011
Click to View More Answers: