Can I charge the trust for half of what I am paying him to do this? 1 Answers as of July 19, 2017

My son and I own a house together. He is 15 and when his dad died, his dad signed over his ownership/half to our son (we were no longer together and we were never married). The trust currently will pay for half of the expenses related to the house. I used to have a lawn service but this year let them go. My son will mow. Also, can I charge for the trust when I mow (when my son cannot)? They have refused to pay anything other than what they have a receipt for and they will only pay half. I don't feel it is fair if I am doing all the work (when my son is gone as he will be gone for 2 weeks), that the trust has no responsibility to me, but they are will pay half if I submit a bill from a lawn service. Please help guide me as to where I can find an answer. I just want to know my rights. I ask because I painted rooms in my house and asked that the trust just pay for the paint (since I was doing all of the work) and they refused. Please help me so I know what I can legally ask for.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Sebby Law Office
Sebby Law Office | Jayne Sebby
Without seeing the trust document, I can't answer specific questions. However, based on your descriptions of what has and hasn't been paid for in the past, it sounds like the trust handles the large expenses such as the mortgage or major structural repairs. You, and now your son, are responsible for regular maintenance, including materials and labor. You'll have to talk to the trust's trustees to find out what specific expenses the trust will pay and what they will reimburse you for. And you will always need to provide a receipt for materials in order to get reimbursed.
Answer Applies to: Nebraska
Replied: 7/19/2017
Click to View More Answers: