Can I change my name before I am granted citizenship in the US? 10 Answers as of February 02, 2011

I was born in another country and is now a green card holder of the USA. However I would like to change my name before I get my citizenship how can this be done and what do I need?

Each state has its own procedure for a legal name change. It is done in State court and typically requires a notice in the paper, petition with the court and then an Order granting your name change. With this order you can then file an I-890 to get a replacement green card in your new legal name.
Calderón Seguin PLC
Calderón Seguin PLC | Ofelia L. Calderon
Actually, the best way to change your name is WHEN you apply for citizenship because then you don't have to pay a separate fee. On the N-400 application, there is a question that asks if you want to change the name. Just answer yes and indicate what you want your new name to be. When your application is approved, you will be sworn in by a U.S. District Court who has the power to naturalize you AND change your name. Otherwise, you must pay for and file a separate petition with the courts. This is done differently in different states so you must check with the courts.
441 Legal Group, Inc.
441 Legal Group, Inc. | Gareth H. Bullock
You need to file a name change petition with the Court. Once the Court grants the petition you can file.
Theresa E. Tilton, Attorney at Law
Theresa E. Tilton, Attorney at Law | Theresa E. Tilton
Yes, you may change your name. Although customary name change is permitted by the common law in the USA, in this instance you should go to state court where you live and use the judicial process change your name. Get a certified copy of the court order to present with your naturalization petition.

I have done this a few times. For an Eritrean lady named Tskhanna, we asked to shorten it to a form easier for Americans: Hanna.
JCS Immigration & Visa Law Office
JCS Immigration & Visa Law Office | Jack C. Sung
You can change your name on the citizenship form N-400. Look into it. It's free if you do it with your citizenship.
    When you apply for your citizenship, you will be offered one time free-of-charge name change. You will be sworn in front of a judge for your citizenship. Good luck!
    You can change you name as part of the Naturalization process. When you fill out your N-400 application there is a section that asks if you want to change your name. You put in the new name you want. At your interview remind the officer you want to change your name. After your pass your interview and are sworn if you will receive your Naturalization Certificate with you new name, and attached will be a court order indicating that your name was legally changed.
    Marie Michaud Attorney At Law
    Marie Michaud Attorney At Law | Marie Michaud
    The naturalization application asks this question: Do you want to change your name? Mark YES, write down the desired name. Your new name will take effect on the Oath ceremony.
    The Vega Law Firm
    The Vega Law Firm | Linda Vega
    Yes you may change your name on the n-400 when you fill out the application. This is a question asked on the first page.
    Pauly P.A.
    Pauly P.A. | Clemens W. Pauly
    You can change your name as part of the N-400 Application for Naturalization for no extra fee. However, if you wish to change your name before your naturalization proceedings, you will have to petition for a name change with your local state court and according to the requirements of the state you are residing in.