Can I change my immigration status while in the US? 3 Answers as of April 19, 2011

I was a J1 starting june 2010 and successfully changed my status to B2 while in US.My new I 94 date was March 26 and I left the US March 24.I was interested they will make any problem in my home country US Embassy on my next visa application.Is there a certain period of time I am supposed to wait before applying again?As I said,I was not out of status at all.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
World Esquire Law Firm
World Esquire Law Firm | Aime Katambwe
I see no problem at all. Not all J visa holders have to wait 2 years before returning to the US. The fact that you were able to change your J visa to a B-2 successfully attests to that. So, no worries.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 4/19/2011
Law Office of Christine Troy
Law Office of Christine Troy | Christine Troy
That will depend to some extend on the specific US consulate you are using. As a general rule, US consulates do not like it when people in J status change status in the US, instead of leaving on time. It is interesting because you are legally allowed to change status, as long as you made that determination after your last entry in J status. Since you have been in the US for 2plus years, you will have a difficult time showing strong ties to your home country and the consulate may feel you have immigrant intent. If you are entering on an H work visa, that will not be an issue. Otherwise, you will probably want to wait a while until you apply for a new entry as a student or visitor, in order to demonstrate those strong home ties.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 4/19/2011
Law Offices of Caro Kinsella
Law Offices of Caro Kinsella | Caro Kinsella, Esq.
No you are able to file whenever you want. You left the U.S. Before your I-94 expired; therefore you have always maintained lawful status while inside the U.S.
Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 4/18/2011
Click to View More Answers: