Can I change my daughter's last name without losing child support? 22 Answers as of June 03, 2013

I have full custody of our daughter. I am remarried and my daughter wants to change her last name to my new last name. I was wondering if I can change her last name without losing child support?

Reza Athari & Associates, PLLC | Armand Fried
It should have exactly zero effect on the child support. She is still your child and you are still supporting her, whatever her last name is.
Law Offices of Paul A. Eads, A.P.C.
Law Offices of Paul A. Eads, A.P.C. | Paul A. Eads
The child's last name and child support are not inter-dependent on one another. However, the father must be notified and given opportunity to be heard and even if he does not show the court has to find that the reason you are seeking a name change is permissible and in the child's best interest.
AyerHoffman, LLP
AyerHoffman, LLP | Cara Lee Thompson
A change of name will not affect a child support order.
Law Offices of Louis M. Leibowitz, LLC
Law Offices of Louis M. Leibowitz, LLC | Louis Leibowitz
You daughter's name has no bearing on child support. It is a parent's obligation to support his or her child, regardless of of their name.
    The name has nothing to do with child support.
    Law Office Of Jody A. Miller
    Law Office Of Jody A. Miller | Jody A. Miller
    You can change her name without losing child support. If the father pays child support, you will likely need his consent to change her name.
    You won't lose the right to receive child support for your daughter by changing her name. However, if you file a case to change your daughter's name, you are required to give written notice to your ex-husband, and he can contest your effort to change your daughter's name.
    Law Office of James Bordonaro
    Law Office of James Bordonaro | James Albert Bordonaro
    You won't lose child support but I think the other parent's consent is required to change the name.
    A name change has no impact on child support. However, a name change may likely require consent of both parents or a Court order.
    In Colorado you cannot change her last name without the father's consent. You will need court approval from the court that has established child support. If the court approves a name change, that will not by itself result in termination of child support if there no termination of parental rights.
    Joanna Mitchell & Associates, P.A.
    Joanna Mitchell & Associates, P.A. | Joanna Mitchell
    You cannot change her last name without the biological father's consent.
    The English Law Firm
    The English Law Firm | Robert English
    The minor's name has no impact on support. However, you will need to make a noticed motion to the court for approval of any name change. The other parent will have to have notice and opportunity to be heard.
    In Washington, child support obligations are not tied to parenting decisions. A court will probably not allow you to change the name however without notice to the Father, if you seek a court order.
    Your daughter's last name is not relevant to child support. Whether you can get the order you are seeking for a name change, however, may or may not happen, as her biological father has the right to object.
    Law Offices of Steven A. Hemmat
    Law Offices of Steven A. Hemmat | Steven A. Hemmat
    Changing your daughter's name is completely independent from the father's obligation to pay child support. The father's obligation to pay child support is based upon a court order to do so, and not dependent upon a change of last name. Incidentally, it will be difficult to obtain a court order to change your daughter's last name without consent of the father.
    Child support is not tied to your girl's last name. You could use an attorney's help to change her name.
    Law Office of James Lentz
    Law Office of James Lentz | James Lentz
    You would have to give your daughter's father notice, and if he objected, the court would likely not allow the change. The easy way would be to have the husband adopt the child. But then child support would stop and if you divorced your current husband he would be on the hook for child support, so he might not want to do the adoption. You don't say how old the child is, but at 18 she can do whatever she likes.
    Law Office of Michael W. Bugni
    Law Office of Michael W. Bugni | Jay W. Neff
    Yes, you can. However, you will probably need to give the other parent notice of the fact that you are going to change your daughter's name. If the other parent objects, you may have trouble convincing the court to make the change.
    The Zwiebel Law Firm, LLC
    The Zwiebel Law Firm, LLC | Elizabeth Zwiebel
    The only way to change your daughter's last name to your current husband's name is by adoption. If the child is adopted by your current husband then child support will cease to be required of her natural father. Since the process of adoption terminates her natural father's rights, child support will stop.
    Donaldson Stewart, PC
    Donaldson Stewart, PC | Monica H. Donaldson Stewart
    These are two separate issues - changing her last name does not affect child support, but you must either obtain the biological father's consent to the name change, or you must proceed with having him served with notice of the name change hearing so he has an opportunity to appear and object to the change.