Can I change my B2 visa to an F1 visa? 2 Answers as of May 10, 2011

I have B2 visa now, and living in the US. Can I change to F1 visa?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Law Office of Christine Troy
Law Office of Christine Troy | Christine Troy
Technically yes, unless there is a notation on your I-94 card (in your passport) forbidding it. Please use a competent immigration attorney to file as this is more complicated than it seems. The classes must start before the expiration of your B-2 period of authorized stay however DHS will often take several months to process. You are not allowed to start class until the F-1 is approved. Therefore it is common for people to get stuck waiting for the approval after class begins. There is also the issue of when you formed the intention to change status- if before entry, this is visa fraud.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 5/10/2011
Nicastro Piscopo, APLC
Nicastro Piscopo, APLC | Louis M. Piscopo
If you are still in valid non-immigration status you may be eligible to file for change of status to F-1. However, you first have to apply and be accepted an approved school.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 5/10/2011
Click to View More Answers: