Can I change the deed on property I own with my ex? 1 Answers as of May 18, 2011

My name is still on the deed of property with my ex. I want to change my name to my new married name, but don't want to stir up things by changing it on the deed. Will I have legal problems with leaving as is?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Law Office of Michael E. Hendrickson
Law Office of Michael E. Hendrickson | Michael E. Hendrickson
No, you shouldn't have any problems with leaving your name as it on the deed as long as you keep careful records and documentation of what your name was at the time that this deed was recorded as well as all documentation relating to the acquirement of your new married name(mainly your marriage license I would guess). At some future time, you could always hire a local real estate attorney for a few hundred dollars to prepare and file a revised deed reflecting your new name.
Answer Applies to: Virginia
Replied: 5/18/2011
Click to View More Answers: