Can I bring my wife to the US? 18 Answers as of December 19, 2011

I married my wife in Laos a months ago. I am not sure how can i bring her to us or which way?

Law Office of Sylvia Ontaneda-Bernales | Sylvia Ontaneda-Bernales
If you are a naturalized US Citizen, or if you are a Legal Permanent Resident (LPR) with a green card, you can petition for your wife who lives abroad to come into the United States. Provided all requirements are met, bringing her into the US can take up to 12 months.
Kazmi & Sakata
Kazmi & Sakata | Harun Kazmi
If you are a US citizen, you may petition for her US Residency. The case is processed first in the US and then forwarded to the US consulate. The whole process may take 8 to 12 months.
Calderón Seguin PLC
Calderón Seguin PLC | Ofelia L. Calderon
If you are a U.S., you can file an I-130 petition on her behalf and she can obtain her immigrant visa at the U.S. Embassy in Laos. If you are a Lawful Permanent Resident, you can file an I-130 petition but you will not be able to get the visa right away. There will be a wait.
All American Immigration
All American Immigration | Tom Youngjohn
Go to www.uscis.gov. Click on the word "FORMS," at the moment in the top lefthand corner, then scroll down to the Form I-130. Click on it. Print out those instructions, then print out the Form itself and its somewhat older instructions. Also take a look at the Forms G-325A and I-864. Then hire an experienced immigration attorney to put it together and take you and your spouse through the process. You should have an attorney.
If you are a US citizen, you can use the three step consular processing method and she can be in the US within 12 months (or it can take longer.) They will want to see a lot of documentation that your marriage is real and also that you speak the same language. If you are a green card holder, the process is the same, however it will take many years for your wife to enter the US.
    Matthew I. Bernstein, Attorney At Law
    Matthew I. Bernstein, Attorney At Law | Matthew Ian Bernstein
    If you are a US citizen, you can file a petition on behalf of your wife and she will be eligible for immediate immigration benefits. If you are a permanent resident, you can file a petition, but it may take several years to bring her here. In either case, it's important to consult with an immigration attorney to assist you in documenting your case and so they can keep an eye out for issues. In my experience, the embassies in South East Asia can be very tough, and it's important to make sure to document your relationship very well in order to avoid problems later.
    Richard S. Kolomejec, Attorney at Law
    Richard S. Kolomejec, Attorney at Law | Richard S. Kolomejec
    The process takes about a year to do. There are several steps to this complicated process. Please consult with an immigration attorney.
    I would need more information regarding your immigration status to assess the case more thoroughly. Assuming you are a lawful permanent resident or U.S. citizen, you would need to file an immigrant visa petition on behalf of your wife. This requires you to file the appropriate forms, supporting documents, and filing fee. Once the petition is approved, the case is sent to the National Visa Center for filing of an immigrant visa application. This requires completing additional forms and provided additional documents such as an affidavit of support, criminal record checks, etc. You will also have to pay an application fee. Once an immigrant visa is available, your wife will be interviewed by the U.S. Embassy/Consulate with jurisdiction over her residence. If approved, she will be issued an immigrant visa and can enter the United States. She will receive a green card shortly after her arrival. How long the process will take depends upon your immigration status and how many times documents need to be requested.
    Philip M. Zyne, P.A.
    Philip M. Zyne, P.A. | Philip M. Zyne
    If you are a US Citizen you can file a K-3 petition and/or an I-130 petition to start the process of bringing her to the United States. Each process is slightly different, so you may wish to consult with a qualified immigration law attorney to see which is best for your case. Good luck.
    Bell, Nunnally & Martin, LLP | Karen-Lee Pollak
    You will have to file a petition for alien relative. Once you receive a receipt number you can file a special petition requesting she adjust status in the US. Once your petition is approved. She will then go for an interview at the Consulate in Laos, obtain a visa and once she is here you can apply for her adjustment of status so she can obtain her green card.
    Wildes & Weinberg, P.C. | Leon Wildes
    Yes. If you are a US citizen.
    Hilf & Hilf PLC
    Hilf & Hilf PLC | Sufen Hilf
    You should bring your wife here by petitioning I-130 on her behalf. After I-130 approval, you can process her visa application with National Visa Center. Then she can get her immigrant visa from Laos.
    Carol Beth Wolfenson | Carol Beth Wolfenson
    You have to file a visa petition in the U.S. and/or a K-3 visa to bring her here.
    Eric M. Mark, Attorney at Law
    Eric M. Mark, Attorney at Law | Eric Mark
    Yes, you can. It is complicated.
    Miller Conway
    Miller Conway | Ross Elliott Miller
    Assuming the marriage is a legitimate marriage based on the basic tenets of marriage you will be able to bring your wife to the U.S. absent exigent circumstances.
    Nossa Law Office
    Nossa Law Office | Pablo H Nossa
    Yes, if you are an LPR or a US Citizen then you can bring your wife to the US. This assuming she does not have any bars to admissibility. The first step would be to file an I-130 and you should visit USCIS website.