Can I bring my medication with me on the plane? 4 Answers as of August 15, 2011

I have the proper/legal authorization for medical marijuana use in WA state. Is it possible to travel with my medication? Would it make a difference what form the medication was in (eg edible)?

Law Office of Andrew Subin
Law Office of Andrew Subin | Andrew Subin
You could face federal prosecution for carrying marijuana through airport security. I would not do this, regardless of your Washington certificate.
Law Office of James A Schoenberger
Law Office of James A Schoenberger | James A Schoenberger
Washington requires prescription medications to be in the container with the Rx label. Medical marijuana is another matter altogether. You should always have your authorization with you when you have marijuana in your possession. If you are traveling to another state, you need to find out if they have a medical marijuana law. If not, you risk being charged there with illegal possession of marijuana.
Law Office of Michael Morgan, l.L.C.
Law Office of Michael Morgan, l.L.C. | Michael Morgan
The federal government does not recognize marijuana as being possessed legallydo not fly with marijuana.
Law Office of Joseph Schodowski
Law Office of Joseph Schodowski | Joseph Schodowski
I wouldn't recommend traveling with marijuana, even if you have an authorization. Although legal in WA, marijuana is still classified as a controlled substance under federal law. That means, you could be charging with transporting a controlled substance across state lines.