Can I bring my husband to the US if I am a permanent resident? 3 Answers as of February 07, 2011

I just got married 2 months ago with my husband in Mexico because he is illegal. I am a permanent resident. If I become a citizen can I get my husband a passport or visa or resident card so he can come to the US with me? How long would it take if I become a citizen to get him papers?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Javia & Moore
Javia & Moore | Marisa-Andrea Moore
The simple answer is yes, you can file a petition for your husband. Whether he will be ultimately approved for a visa will depend upon some factors such as whether he acquired illegal presence in the United States and whether he has any criminal convictions or other issues that may deem him inadmissible. You can petition him as an LPR but it will take longer than if you petitioned him as a USC. Our office would be happy to assist you.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 2/7/2011
The Vega Law Firm
The Vega Law Firm | Linda Vega
I don't understand your question. Your husband is illegal, where is he illegal? You married in Mexico. Is he in Mexico? As a U.S. Citizen you are able to apply for Consular Processing for your husband. However, it is important if he at anytime was unlawful in the U.S., entered without inspection or admission, or committed a crime in the U.S., he must apply for a waiver for entry.
Answer Applies to: Texas
Replied: 2/7/2011
Carlos E. Sandoval, P.A.
Carlos E. Sandoval, P.A. | Carlos Sandoval
Yes, if you become a United States citizen you can petition for him and there would be a visa available for him immediately. The process may take between 6 and 9 months.
Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 2/7/2011
Click to View More Answers: