Can I bring my girlfriend to the US if I am an asylee? 9 Answers as of August 24, 2011

I am an asylee and got green card. I plan to marry my girl friend in a third country (other than US and my home country) and bring her to the US. May I do it? How and how much time it takes?

Oltarsh and Associates, PC
Oltarsh and Associates, PC | Jennifer Oltarsh
Unfortunately an asylee does not have any derivative family members subsequent to the grant. When you get permanent residence you can apply for her (if she is then your wife) but you will have several years to wait for her to be current.
As an asylee or permanent resident, you do not qualify for fiance visa. If permanent resident and married, it may take 2-4 years for her to come to US.
You can only bring your girlfriend to the U.S. after marriage. You can file an I-130 petition on behalf of your girlfriend once you have been married. Unfortunately, she is not entitled to any derivative asylee benefits as the marriage will occur after you were granted asylum. As a lawful permanent resident, your girlfriend will have to wait for an immigrant visa to be available. The availability of visas fluctuates every month. They currently have visa available for petitions filed in December of 2008. There may be other alternatives available to have your girlfriend enter the country sooner so it would be advisable to discuss the matter further with an attorney.
You must be married before asylum is granted for your wife to get derivative asylee status. As a PR you can petition for her but she will be in the FB-2a category which is approximately a three year wait. Once you become a citizen you can upgrade the case to the immediate relative category.
Kazmi & Sakata
Kazmi & Sakata | Harun Kazmi
Yes, sure you may marry her. It will take over 3 years to process before she can come to the US.
    Calderón Seguin PLC
    Calderón Seguin PLC | Ofelia L. Calderon
    If you already have your greencard, you can file an I-130 petition once you have married your girlfriend. There is a wait of several years. You should check the visa bulletin on the state department website to see exactly how long that wait it.
    LPR's can sponsor spouses but it takes several years for the person to gain entry to the US due to the green card quota system. Presently it's about 2-3 years from most countries. When you become a USC, it will be under one year.
    GK Law Firm
    GK Law Firm | Galorah Keshavarz
    No. You must be a U.S. Citizen to bring a fiancee or spouse over to the U.S. First you must become a legal permanent resident. A refugee or asylee may apply for permanent resident status in the United States one year after being granted asylum or refugee status. Then five years after that date, you may be eligible for Naturalization.
    The Ghosh Law Group
    The Ghosh Law Group | Amy Maitrayee Ghosh
    No. You need to get married to her.