Can I bring my fiance and daugher to the US? 5 Answers as of August 05, 2011

I am a British citizen, who is in the United States on an I-130, and I have a green card as a result of this. I'm wondering if it is at all possible for me yto get my fiancee and daughter to the United States also? To fill you in on the history of this situation, back in 2002, my Dad filed an I-130 for me, as he is a US citizen. I then attended my interview at the US embassy is London, in January this year (2011) and my Visa was granted. I arrive in the US at the start of this month. However, I know have a fiancee and a daughter, although at the time of my initial application, I did not know my now fiancee nor did I have a daughter. I only met my fiancee in 2005, when we had a brief relationship, out of which my daughter was born in 2006. I never was involved in a long term relationship with her, therefore I wasn't in my daughter's life, until 2009, when my daughter's mother and I got together in a serious relationship. We are now engaged and have been for a couple of years, but I find myself alone in the United States, while my fiancee and daughter are back in Scotland, and we really don't know if there is any hope of them being able to join me any time soon. I have a social security number, a California driver's license, and a US bank account. My intention is to stay here forever. My green card is valid for 10 years, however, I'll be seeiking to become a full US citizen, after the 4 or 5 years, or whatever it may be.

I'm just wondering, is there any way that I can have my fiancee and daughter here with me in the US? And if so, what is the quickest way of making it possible? As the distance between us and the thought of not being reunited for many many years, is absolutely devastating.

Any help, advice or assistance on this issue, will be hugely appreciated.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Kazmi & Sakata
Kazmi & Sakata | Harun Kazmi
You can file your I-130 for them after you marry. You cannot file a fiance visa until you become a citizen. They cannot be brought in at this time based on your Dad's case either. Perhaps they can come on a work or investor visa.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 8/5/2011
Reza Athari & Associates, PLLC
Reza Athari & Associates, PLLC | Reza Athari
1. Regarding your daughter, you may apply for her based on the same petition at the US consulate where you got your visa as "follow to join" obviously you have to show to the consulate that you did not know of her existence at the time of interview. 2. There is no provision in immigration law for fiance of a permanent resident. If you marry her, you may file a petition for her and it may take up to 4 years until she can come.
Answer Applies to: Nevada
Replied: 8/5/2011
World Esquire Law Firm
World Esquire Law Firm | Aime Katambwe
Yes, you perfectly can petition your fiance and your daughter and we can help you. Please give us your personal contact information, so we can call you and explain to you how the process is going to be.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 8/5/2011
Julian & Chin LLP
Julian & Chin LLP | Larry F Chin
You cannot sponsor a fiance while being a Lawful Permanent Resident. If you marry, you can file a petition for your wife but you will be subject to a waiting period as there are no visas available immediately for spouses/children of residents. When you become a US Citizen your wife and daughter will longer be subject to the waiting period. You can check visa availability by looking at the State Department's "Visa Bulletin".
Answer Applies to: Washington
Replied: 8/5/2011
Law Offices of Caro Kinsella
Law Offices of Caro Kinsella | Caro Kinsella, Esq.
You must be a U.S. Citizen in order to file a Fiance visa.
Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 8/5/2011
Click to View More Answers: