Can I bring my father to the US if he has multiple felonies? 2 Answers as of February 01, 2011

Can I immigrate my father to the U.S. He has been deported for some felonies including drugs. It will be 10 years he has been deported? I would like him to be a part of my life. I am a US citizen.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Feldman Feldman & Associates, PC
Feldman Feldman & Associates, PC | Lynne Feldman
He is an immediate relative and yes you can petition for him to come to the U.S. There are two stages to the process and the first stage your relationship should be fine is you are over 21 and a U.S. citizen. The second part is his own petition to immigrate. We would need to review his deportation order and all of the documents relating to his criminal convictions to see if these will preclude his immigrating, are too old to be a problem or are waivable.

We would be happy to consult with you on these issues but it would be helpful to obtain what you can on the deportation and criminal records - if you don't have these we can assist you or him in obtaining them. We do charge for consultations but whatever is paid for the consultation would then be a credit toward the fees for his case if you decide to move forward with his case.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 2/1/2011
Nicastro Piscopo, APLC
Nicastro Piscopo, APLC | Louis M. Piscopo
Even after being outside the U.S. for 10 years he still may be inadmissible due to the multiple felonies. Also, since at least one of the convictions involves drugs he may be permanently barred from immigrating the U.S. Under Section 212(a)(2)(A)(II) and 212(a)(2)(C), individuals who have used drugs in the past, or who have sold drugs in the past are barred from immigrating to the U.S..
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 1/25/2011
Click to View More Answers: