Can I bring my chinese finace to HI on my J1 Visa? 5 Answers as of February 02, 2011

Aloha! My girlfriend is a Chinese national and lives in Beijing. We are planning to marry. I am a British National working in the US with a J1 Visa. Is it possible for me to bring her to the US once we marry? We are intent on moving back to China once my J1 expires.

Once you are married she is eligible to obtain a J-2 at the consulate. Once in the U.S. she is also eligible to apply for a work card so long as you can show her income is not necessary for your support.
Calderón Seguin PLC
Calderón Seguin PLC | Ofelia L. Calderon
Yes, once you are married, she can apply for a J-2 visa as your dependent.
JCS Immigration & Visa Law Office
JCS Immigration & Visa Law Office | Jack C. Sung
Your fiancee must independent qualify for a visa (such as a tourist visa or a work visa) before she can come to Hawaii to meet with you. Without marriage she cannot come as your dependent (J-2 visa). J-2 visa for depending of J-1 can only be done after marriage.

It is possible to bring her to the US after you are married, but you might need to get married to her in China instead of on US soil because it may be difficult for her to get a tourist visa.

If you would like some tips on how to get her a tourist visa, please contact my office.
You can't sponsor her as fiance or spouse. but once you are married, you can get her a visa as your spouse to stay with you as long as you are in US. This visa does not get you green card eventually.
Yes, once you are married she needs to apply for J-2 visa at the US consulate in Beijing. If you are subject to the 2 year foreign residency restriction with you J-1 she would be as well.