Can I bring back my deported parents? 1 Answers as of June 22, 2011

My parents applied the whole family political asylum in 1995. It was granted for a couple of years with working permit but was denied later on and ordered voluntary departure on 1997. Unfortunately we stayed in the US until I was caught in Dec 2003 and was deported in Jan 2004. My US citizen spouse filed for my sponsorship and a waiver and I was able to return to US on Oct. 2007. I will be filing for my citizenship this June 2011. My family stayed in the US from the time we were ordered to voluntarily depart from 1997 until my dad was caught by ICE and was deported in Jan. 2008. My mom due to fear that she will be the next to be caught went back as well to our home country in Nov. 2007 while my dad was still in custody of ICE. Can I sponsor them as my immediate relative since I will be a US citizen already? Can I apply for a waiver for them to return to US? Will the 10 year bar will apply to them?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
World Esquire Law Firm
World Esquire Law Firm | Aime Katambwe
Yes to all your questions. It sounds like you know the process. Your Dad may will have to remain outside the US for exactly 10 years before reapplying for permission to be admitted. In other words, the 10-year ban will most likely be a solid one for him. Not so much for your Mom but it could be depending on the facts and circumstances you present in you waiver for them. So, good luck!
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 6/22/2011
Click to View More Answers: