Can I become a United States resident if I have been living here for sixteen years? 5 Answers as of August 03, 2011

I have been living in the United States for sixteen years. I am eighteen years old and currently graduated. Only my little sister that is eleven years old is a U.S citizen. Is there anyway I would be able to become a legal resident in the U.S?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Baughman & Wang
Baughman & Wang | Justin X. Wang
Unfortunately no at this time based on your description. If you entered the US illegally, you may not adjust your status to green card even if you marry a US citizen. You better consult with an immigration attorney soon.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 8/3/2011
Kazmi & Sakata
Kazmi & Sakata | Harun Kazmi
Thank you for question. Unfortunately, there is no easy way to correct your status. If you were brought here illegally, you cannot obtain any status (unless the laws change). There is an existing exception that permits the filing of a penalty ($1,000), if you have had a previous family or employment based case filed by 04/30/2001. Has anyone in your family filed such a case?
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 8/3/2011
Christian Schmidt, Attorney at Law
Christian Schmidt, Attorney at Law | Christian Schmidt
Residence by itself does not qualify you for permanent resident status. You can only obtain legal status if you marry a U.S. Citizen and entered the U.S. legally. Otherwise, you will have a hard time to gain legal immigration status if possible at all. Applying through your sister will take a very long time and require you to leave the U.S. thereby triggering a 10 year ban from receiving any visa.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 8/3/2011
Fong & Associates
Fong & Associates | William D. Fong
Not with the facts you note in your post. Your sister can petition for you when she is 21, but the process takes about 11-15 years from the day she files for most cases. You would need to find another family-based petitioner and would need to see if you can even file in the US, as that is dependent on how you entered the US and any immigration or criminal violations. r. Thank you.
Answer Applies to: Texas
Replied: 8/3/2011
Law Office of Immigration & International Trade Law
Law Office of Immigration & International Trade Law | Linda Liang
Permanent residence is a privilege, not a right. One won't be granted permanent residence merely because he or she has been here for a long enough time. You have to have one immigration base. You should consult an experienced immigration lawyer and let her advice accordingly.
Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 8/2/2011
Click to View More Answers: