Can I become a private investigator with an expungement of a felony and a misdemeanor? 8 Answers as of May 30, 2013

Can I become a private investigator with an expungement of a felony and a misdemeanor? I know it was wrong and it was thirteen years ago. I have been in no trouble ever since then.

Private investigators require a state license. You should check with the licensing agency. To my knowledge you are eligible.
Check with the Board that licenses Private Investigators but you are probably ok. Just make sure you tell them about convictions even if they were expunged.
I have no idea if some sort of certification is needed to be a PI. If so, or if you're trying to get a job from someone who requires you to fill out an application, you should definitely get the expungement. My office does them often and charges a flat $1500. There is still no guarantee the expungement itself won't show up in a detailed background check, but it is usually good enough. Your other option is just to go into business for yourself! Good luck.
Don't know. You should ask the state licensing agency, their rules determine that. I do know that you can not ever possess a firearm after a felony conviction, so that is a limitation you suffer. An expungement does NOT change that.
Law Office of Jared C. Winter
Law Office of Jared C. Winter | Jared C. Winter
That is up to the licensing agency that governs private investigator licenses in the state. Contact that licensing agency and ask them your question. But regardless of their answer, you should still look into expunging those cases. To do that, you can either hire an attorney or try to do it yourself.