Can I be written up for an old citation? 2 Answers as of March 29, 2011

I am in the process of completing requirements to get a restricted license after my 2nd DUI which was 2 yrs. ago. I paid the outstanding fines required by the DMV, am enrolled in Dui classes (18 mo), and finished an electronic home arrest program (7 days). I went to get my ankle bracelet removed and was (re)written an old traffic ticket (Mar.'09) for driving with a suspended license and was told I have to appear in court. I've received nothing from the police department. Can they re-write a ticket like this and hold my license until the fine is paid? My funds are depleted and I cannot drive to work to make money.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Nelson & Lawless
Nelson & Lawless | Terry Nelson
Tickets are not re-written. I suspect this means they found an old outstanding ticket and arrest warrant that you somehow didnt deal with. This new ticket is probably a courtesy and break for you, rather than taking you into custody and to court on the warrant. Go to court on the date and deal with it intelligently. If they said you cant get a license until its cleared, then that is your answer. You can go to court anytime earlier than the ticket date, and get it handled early. If you need legal help on it, feel free to contact me.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 3/29/2011
The Law Offices of Gabriel Dorman
The Law Offices of Gabriel Dorman | Gabriel Dorman
I am not to sure what you mean by "rewrite" an old ticket. Were you ever stopped by the police and cited for driving on a suspended license in 2009. If so, it sounds as though you may have failed to appear on the old driving on a suspended license ticket and you were being given a notice to appear. Regardless, the only way to truly understand what is going on and what needs to happen to help you out of your situation is to contact an experienced criminal defense lawyer to fully discuss the details of your situation. Most criminal defense attorneys offer free case evaluations so, even if you cannot afford to hire one, you may be able to get some good information and guidance as to what to do. I would strongly urge you to contact one before appearing in court on your own. I hope this answer was helpful. Good luck.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 3/28/2011
Click to View More Answers: