Can I be threatened with legal action after a debt was discharged through chapter 7 bankruptcy? 10 Answers as of August 19, 2015

I received a chapter 7 discharge late last year. In the last month, I have received three letters from a debt recovery company, on behalf of a jewelry store. That debt was listed in, and discharged in the bankruptcy. The debt recovery company has been notified of this by phone (with a recording of the call on my phone), and by mail (I mailed a copy of the discharge paperwork). If the letters and/or calls continue, should I ignore it, or should I act?
Thanks very much for your time.

Eranthe Law Firm
Eranthe Law Firm | Cate Eranthe
Take this to your attorney. They can write a letter and if the behavior continues file suit.
They will claim they have a "security interest" in the jewelry. Security interests survive bankruptcy. However, 9 times out of 10 the paper work is not correct. Check with experienced local counsel. You may find one at nacba.org.
Mauritz Van Niekerk, Attorneys at Law
Mauritz Van Niekerk, Attorneys at Law | Christiaan van Niekerk
No if the debt is discharged you can not be sued for that.
No, it's unlawful to threaten legal action after a debt is discharged and the creditor knows it was discharged. You can file a complaint with the bankruptcy court but I'd wait until to see if they'll escalate beyond a few letters?
No you cannot, assuming the debt was discharged. It is contempt of court to attempt to collect a discharged debt from the discharged debtor.
    When you buy jewelry using a store card, the store typically will retain the right to repossess the jewelry. Now that the bankruptcy is over, you can return the jewelry and owe nothing or you can pay the store what you agree it is worth. Just as you cannot keep a car without paying on the financing, your jewelry secures the debt.
    In all likelihood the collector is committing a contempt of court by seeking to collect on a discharged debt. You are entitled to bring a contempt action against them. BUT if the jewelry store debt was secured, the creditor has the right to seek to get back the collateral i.e. the jewelry, or else some agreed payment to let you keep it. Carefully review the facts before you bring a contempt action Best of all, discuss the matter with your BR lawyer. And if you did not have one, now is a good time to discuss this issue with one. Good Luck.
    They are violating federal and state law, as well as the bankruptcy court. Keep a log, the recording and all other proof. Tell them in writing you are going to bring an action for their violations of they do not cease and desist.
    Continued collection attempts violate the Fair Debt Collection Act and are subject to financial penalty.
    That is a discharge violation. Your attorney can reopen the case to sue them for which you can get money damages.