Can I be sued if my minor son was in a hit and run? 2 Answers as of November 14, 2016

My son took my car without permission and hit a car and ran. My insurance is covering everything but the other party just served me with papers that they’re suing my son and I. Also, keep in mind, my son is a minor. I don't know what to do. I think my insurance just took too long to respond to the other party and that's why they’re coming after me. My coverage is $10000 to $30000.

You are off by a "0". Your coverage is $100,000/$300,000 [minimum coverage is $15,000]. If your son stole your car your insurance could deny coverage.
I'm confused. If your insurance co. "took care of everything" you shouldn't be getting sued. Maybe you mean they paid for your car's damage? If so, that would be under your collision coverage. You need to be concerned with your liability coverage now. Read the part of your policy that covers liability. Two issues present themselves (assuming that your son was at fault): Is he covered at all, and how does the lack of consent change things? The second question involves a factual issue, i.e., does your son have implied consent based on prior usage. leaving the keys in his possession, etc? Contact your insurance co. and ask them if they are covering this incident. If yes, the suit simply means that they have not offered enough to reach a settlement. Send them the suit papers ASAP, anyway. If no, get a lawyer now. You have 30 days within which to file your response.