Can I be sued for a personal injury three years after the accident occurred? 3 Answers as of January 25, 2011

I was in an auto accident in September of 2007. I was creeping out of an alley way and couldn't see anything on my left side because there were a bunch of cars in the way on my left side. As I was coming out this woman ran into me. She wasn't going fast enough to the point that she couldn't stop. She just wasn't paying attention because she was on her phone and she just hit me. I wasn't insured at the time of the accident and the cop ruled it my fault because "I failed the yield in a alley way" I think the other woman got a ticket too, but in December of 2010 I received a certified letter stating that I was being sued from that accident and the accident was over 3 years ago. Is it too late for them to sue me? Because from my understanding after something like this happens over 2 years ago they cannot sue. Is this true?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Allegretti & Associates
Allegretti & Associates | James L. Allegretti
They can sue for property damage up to 5 years after the accident. That might be the basis of the suit.
Answer Applies to: Illinois
Replied: 1/25/2011
Peckar & Abramson, P.C.
Peckar & Abramson, P.C. | David Scriven-Young
It is true that there is a 2-year statute of limitations on personal injury actions in Illinois. However, there may be an exception that would apply here. You should consult an attorney so you can obtain proper representation. This is a serious matter if you do not respond appropriately, a default judgment could be entered against you.

My firm has experience defending personal injury cases, and we would be glad to speak with you for a confidential and free initial consultation.
Answer Applies to: Illinois
Replied: 1/24/2011
Cary J. Wintroub & Associates
Cary J. Wintroub & Associates | Sheldon J. Aberman
While it is true that the statute of limitations in Illinois, for a negligence claim, is two years from the date of the accident, this assumes that the injured party was eighteen years-old at the time of the accident. However, when the injured party is a minor, he or she has two years from his or her eighteenth birthday to bring suit against you.
Answer Applies to: Illinois
Replied: 1/24/2011
Click to View More Answers: