Can I be sued for not signing a non compete clause? 2 Answers as of February 21, 2012

I recently quit my job and now my boss is trying to make me sign a non-compete clause. It is my understanding that I do not have to but he has hinted to the fact that he may be able to sue me even if I do not sign it. I explained to him I have no contact list and will not contact anyone directly. Can he really hold anything against me?

Fisher, Butts, Sechrest & Warner, P.A. | Matthew W. Birk
Potentially, your employer could seek a civil injunction against you if it has sufficient grounds to state a claim for tortious interference with an existing business relationship. I am not aware of any situation in which you could be sued solely for failing to sign a non-compete.
The Barrister Firm
The Barrister Firm | Christopher Benjamin
He's out of gas because he should have had you sign these documents when you were originally hired. He cannot stop you from competing against him unless you had already signed these documents or you sign them now.