Can I be sued for negligence if I was holding a safe for a family memberwas holding a safe for a family member but got burgled? 4 Answers as of November 14, 2013

I was holding a safe for a family member (as they didn't want to take the responsibility) but got burgled. Can they sue me for negligence? I tried to get safety deposit box with the bank as I didn't want it on my property but they have a long waiting list. I took measures to secure my home but it wasn't enough.

Mulder Law office, PA
Mulder Law office, PA | Kyndra L Mulder, Esquire
Sounds more like someone else was negligent in leaving their valuables with you. Do you have homeowners insurance or renters insurance that may cover the cost. Whether the person would prevail in a lawsuit against you depends on additional facts but in general probably not.
You can be sued. Whether or not you can be found liable is to be seen. A lot will depend on what measure you took to secure the safe. I suggest that if you are sued, you contact a civil attorney immediately. Also, if you have homeowners insurance, they may be able to defend you should your family members decide to sue.
Pius Joseph A Professional Law Corp. | Pius Joseph
Most likely "no ".
If you took reasonable precautions to safeguard it, then I don't see how they could. However, you should consult with an experienced civil attorney in your area for a more definitive answer as more facts are probably needed to form a more accurate opinion.