Can I be sued for a car accident that I caused when I was a minor? 1 Answers as of July 12, 2011

In August of 2010 I was in a car accident. I was 17 at the time. Now I am 18 and will be 19 in a few months. A party involved in the accident hired a lawyers firm. The firm sent me a letter requesting, on behalf of their client, the information of my insurance company at the time because the party wants compensation for personal injuries. Although, that party was not actually hurt since the party's car was NOT touched by my car, I know the party can sue or ask for money from my insurance since I was at fault and the party needs only to prove pain. However, at the time, when I was a minor, I was driving a truck owned by a family friend. I was buying it from her at the time, but that will not matter. The insurance was also not in my family's name or had my name on it. Now, I'm not sure if the insurance was correct since I do not think it was paid for (i.e canceled without knowledge.) If it turns out I did not have insurance at time, will the party be able to sue my family, since I was a minor at the time or me since I am an adult now? Or what can/will happen?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Klisz Law Office, PLLC
Klisz Law Office, PLLC | Timothy J. Klisz
Your minority does not matter. Your insured status is huge. Without, you need to hire a lawyer to defend your interests, or will feel it for along time. The owner can also get sued.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 7/12/2011
Click to View More Answers: