Can I be sued for a car accident that happened almost two years ago? 26 Answers as of August 29, 2014

I was in a car accident that happened almost two years ago. It was a borrowed car with insurance. I was turning left at an intersection. I believe it was a green light. I hit the side fender and tire. The other car was going maybe 15 mph or less while I was going maybe 5-10 mph.

Domnitz & Skemp, SC
Domnitz & Skemp, SC | Merrick Domnitz
Potentially, yes; the statute of limitations on a car accident in Wisconsin is three years. You should know that if you were driving an insured vehicle with the permission of the owner your liability for the accident will be covered by the insurer of the vehicle up to their policy limits.
Elhart & Horvath, P.C.
Elhart & Horvath, P.C. | Mattias Johnson
Unfortunately the statute of limitations for property damage is 3 years, and, if applicable, the statute of limitations for personal injury is also 3 years. So you can still be sued for the accident.
Law Office of Lisa Hurtado McDonnell | Lisa Hurtado McDonnell
Did you have medical bills of more than $3,000.00?
It depends on the Statute of Limitations in your state. In Michigan, you can sue within 3 years. I think Ohio only gives 2 years, and I think Florida gives 4.
Rex A Ziebarth Attorney | Rex A Ziebarth
Yes, the statute of limitations is 3 years.
    S. Joseph Schramm | Joseph Schramm
    The statute of limitations in Pennsylvania for such suits is 2 years from the date of the incident. Therefore, if the party you struck can file a suit against you for damages arising out of the accident prior to the expiration of two years.
    C Page Hamrick Attorney at Law | C Page Hamrick
    For West Virginia Only: The statute of limitations on personal injury lawsuits is two years.
    Answer Applies to: West Virginia
    Nancy Wallace, Attorney at Law
    Nancy Wallace, Attorney at Law | Nancy Wallace
    Yes, property damage lawsuits can be filed almost 2 years post accident.
    Durham Jones & Pinegar | Erven Nelson
    Yes, in Nevada the statute of limitations for negligence lawsuits is two years.
    End, Hierseman & Crain, LLC | J. Michael End
    The Wisconsin statute of limitations for cases such as yours is three years from the date of the accident, so, yes, you may be sued anytime within three years of the date of the accident. If you are served with a summons and complaint, you should contact your automobile insurance company right away to let them know that you have been served with a summons and complaint. Your automobile insurer will hire an attorney to represent you in the case.
    Yes; the statute of limitations is 2 years. The late filing indicates to me that your insurance co. had not been able to reach a settlement.
    They have 2 years from the date of the accident to sue you. The insurance on the car should cover the damage, though. If you do get sued, the insurance will also pay for a lawyer to defend you and will pay any settlement or judgment up to the limits of the policy. Good luck.
    I would need more details, the jurisdiction, etc.
    Boesen Law, LLC
    Boesen Law, LLC | Joseph J. Fraser III
    Yes - the Colorado statute of limitations for auto accidents is three years.
    Gregory M Janks, PC
    Gregory M Janks, PC | Gregory M Janks
    The Michigan statute of limitations for filing a personal injury case is 3 years from the date of the crash. So if someone in the other vehicle was injured, they have the 3 year limit within which to file suit.
    Candiano Law Office
    Candiano Law Office | Charles J. Candiano
    The details are not important. The other party has 2 years to file suit. Simply turn everything over to your insurance and cooperate. If you were a permissive driver, you have no worries.
    Law Offices of John W. Merting, P.A.
    Law Offices of John W. Merting, P.A. | John W. Merting
    There a four year statute of limitations in Florida for suits to be filed in auto cases. You say you had insurance, the insurance company is obligated to defend the claim and pay up to the policy limits-they select and pay for the attorney to defend you.
    Of course you can. If sued, notify insurance company.
    This is why you buy insurance. report this to the carrier and forget it 3 yr statute of limitations.
    Penglase & Benson, Inc.
    Penglase & Benson, Inc. | John Benson
    If the accident occurred in Pennsylvania there is a 2 year statute of limitations. That means that the injured party has 2 years from the time of injury to file a claim against you. After that date, they will be barred from filing a claim. Until then, yes you can be sued.
    In Nevada you can be sued as long as the suit is filed within two years of the date of the accident.
    Law Offices of Frederick J. Schutte IV | Frederick J. Schutte IV
    The short answer is yes. The statute of limits for negligence in Florida is four (4) years.
    Yes, the statute of limitation is 3 years. If there was insurance, turn the matter over to them to handle. Any left hand turn that is involved in an accident is at fault.
    The Law Firm of Dmitriy Shakhnevich
    The Law Firm of Dmitriy Shakhnevich | Dmitriy Shakhnevich
    The statute of limitations for such a lawsuit, generally, is three years. So yes, you can still be sued.
    Ty Wilson Law
    Ty Wilson Law | Ty Wilson
    The statute of limitations is 2 years from the date of the collision. Apparently the other party was injured and your insurance company was not able to settle the claim. Contact your insurance company as you contract with them to provide defense up to your policy limits of coverage. Good luck.
    In Florida, a person has up to 4 years to file a lawsuit for an automobile accident. Whether they are right or wrong doesn't keep them from filing a lawsuit.