Can I be sponsored for a green card? 3 Answers as of May 03, 2011

I am a citizen of India. I am 22 years old. My grandmother’s brother and his whole family (including his son and daughter) are green card holders and well settled in USA since 2009. So, According to USA Laws, can my grandmother's brother or his family members (his son) sponsor me for a green card/PR?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
World Esquire Law Firm
World Esquire Law Firm | Aime Katambwe
No he cannot. Only a USC spouse, child, parent or brother can petition for a relative. Sorry.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 5/3/2011
Feldman Feldman & Associates, PC
Feldman Feldman & Associates, PC | Lynne Feldman
The only family relationship recognized for green card sponsorship are parent, child, stepchild, spouse, and sibling of a U.S. citizen or spouse or unmarried child of a permanent resident. If someone in your grandmother's brother family has a business and is willing to sponsor you for an employment position, this could be an avenue to a green card but it will not be quick especially if you were born in India. You may also want to consider non-green card options such as various non-immigrant categories. I would be happy to discuss these in more detail if you want to schedule a consultation.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 5/2/2011
Nicastro Piscopo, APLC
Nicastro Piscopo, APLC | Louis M. Piscopo
No they cannot sponsor you. Family sponsorship is only available to the Spouse and Children of a US Citizen or Legal Permanent Residents, or the parents of a U.S. Citizen who is over 21 years old. Cousins, aunt/uncles, grandparents, cannot petition you.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 5/2/2011
Click to View More Answers: