Can I be my own sponsor for the adjustment of status? 9 Answers as of October 30, 2013

My wife has filed a 1-30 petition for me, and we have 2 kids. She is not making enough money to sponsor my affidavit but I have a TPS (temporary protected status). I have a job and I'm making a lot more than her. My question is: Can I be my own sponsor for the adjustment of status?

If you are authorized to work and can show sufficient income and/or assets, your income can be counted for affidavit of support purposes.
Mulder Law office, PA
Mulder Law office, PA | Kyndra L Mulder, Esquire
Your wife must be the primary sponsor. You can be a household member and your income will count in order to meet the financial requirement so long as you are legally authorized to work.
Law Office of Rebecca White
Law Office of Rebecca White | Rebecca White
You can use your own earnings for the affidavit of support (only those working without authorization may not do so).
If you have paid 40 qualifying quarter social security tax, you may be exempt from filing affidavit of support.
Law Office of Nadine A. Brown, P.A. | Nadine A. Brown, Esq.
An immigrant can be a JOINT sponsor to the Affidavit of Support if s/he has lawfully worked in the US and has filed taxes within the last three years and is currently employed. Sponsorship responsibilities end when the immigrant has earned at least 40 quarters in the Social Security System.
    Vladimir Parizher
    Vladimir Parizher | Vladimir Parizher
    Yes, I believe, you can show your own income if your money come from a legitimate source and you have authorization to work, albeit a temporary one in the US.
    Kapoor Law Firm, PLLC
    Kapoor Law Firm, PLLC | Shiv K. Kapoor
    Your income can be used to meet the income requirements for your spouse's affidavit of support as long as your income will continue from the same source once you become a permanent resident and you are currently living with your spouse.
    You cannot be your own sponsor, but your income may be able to be included in her affidavit of support.
    Ben T. Liu Law Office
    Ben T. Liu Law Office | Ben T. Liu
    Your income can be added to hers in the affidavit of support.