Can I be liable for the taxes of my significant other? 4 Answers as of March 17, 2011

If I am single, and claim single on my tax return, and share a checking account with my loved one, am I responsible in the event of that person owing taxes or an audit just because we live together and share the same banking account?

Steven J. Fromm
Steven J. Fromm | Steven J. Fromm & Associates, P.C.
Generally, if you are filing singly you have no liability for taxes of another taxpayer. The shared bank account could be a problem if the IRS levies on such bank account. To be prudent you should have your own separate bank account in your name only to protect your monies from seizure via an IRS or state tax levy.
Mankus & Marchan, LTD
Mankus & Marchan, LTD | Tony Mankus
You should not be liable for any tax debts of a significant other, even if you live together and share a joint checking account. However, IRS can levy your joint bank account if she does not pay her taxes, or reach some agreement with IRS for payment.
LT Pepper Law
LT Pepper Law | Luke T. Pepper
No you cannot be liable but the IRS can attach the shared account whether or not you are married.
Meyer & Yee, LLP
Meyer & Yee, LLP | Kent W. Meyer
If you have a joint account its possible that the IRS could attach or lien the account even if you file as single.