Can I be implicated in a burglary? 16 Answers as of June 18, 2013

My friend stole items from my brother home. I was with him when he sold these items at a pawnshop because the guy owed my father rent money. He told me he was selling his stuff to pay my dad a day later I find out from my brother the same items were stolen from his house. I never touched any of the items I was just in the shop with him can I be implicated in this crime and what should I do?

Of course you can be implicated. There is nothing to do, but wait until the warrant comes down for your arrest.
Get a lawyer and go tell the police what you know. If you did not know the things were stolen then you are not guilty.
Law Office of John Schum, LLC
Law Office of John Schum, LLC | John Schum
You can get charged with this if the other guy says you were involved. I suggest that you get an attorney early to help you prepare for this if it happens. You need to be working on your defense now and not be reacting to it later.
Answer Applies to: Hawaii
If you believe that you may be implicated in a crime, contact a criminal lawyer in your area and do not talk with the police without first consulting with a lawyer.
Doubtful you can be implicated in the burglary. I would steer clear of this friend.
    Gonzalez Law Associates P.C.
    Gonzalez Law Associates P.C. | Carlos Gonzalez
    Possibly, you may be seen as an accessory after the fact.
    No, you cannot be legally implicated if everything is as you claim. But that in no way means that certain cops might not try at least to get you charged as some kind of accessory to the principal in the case. And, of course, should such occur, keep your mouth shut, don't talk with them about it, and hire a competent criminal defense counsel to represent you ASAP.
    R. Jason de Groot, P.A
    R. Jason de Groot, P.A | R. Jason de Groot
    Yes you can be implicated. You probably already are and might be charged with dealing in stolen property. With friends like this, you need no enemies. Your friend stole from your brother to pay your father.
    Havens Law, LLC
    Havens Law, LLC | William Havens Nebeker
    Yes you can be implicated in your brother's crime. The state may bring charges alleging that you were complicit or an accessory after the fact. The state will want to bring whatever charges it thinks it can win on against you. The best thing is to hire an attorney to talk with the prosecutor and evaluate your case. A deal may be reached or depending on the facts of your case, your attorney may succeed at trial or before and get the charges dismissed.
    What you can do is hire a lawyer before you open your mouth and incriminate yourself.
    The Law Offices of John J. Carney Esq.
    The Law Offices of John J. Carney Esq. | John J. Carney
    Unless you knew the property was stolen you are not an accessory. You should call the police and have your friend arrested and then find another friend who is not a burglar.
    It is not a simple question that can be answered on this type of forum. There are many factors that would need to be considered and evaluated. You could possibly be charged as an accessory after the fact. I strongly suggest that you contact an experienced criminal defense attorney for a face-to-face consultation and give him/her all of the facts surrounding your situation. He/she would then be in a better position to analyze your case and advise you of your options.
    Mace J. Yampolsky, LTD
    Mace J. Yampolsky, LTD | Mace Yampolsky
    It is a possibility, but since you had no knowledge, you should be fine.
    It is possible.
    You can be charged with possession of stolen property and accessory to burglary. You should keep your mouth shut and say nothing about this to anyone.
    Natty Shafer Law
    Natty Shafer Law | Nathaniel Shafer
    If you had no knowledge of the crimes, you should not be charged, but sometimes prosecutors make the wrong decision. If you are charged you should hire a lawyer immediately, and do not talk to the police without a lawyer present.