Can I be forced to testify against my spouse, who is charged with assaulting me? 1 Answers as of February 09, 2017

When I called the prosecutor's office, one of his assistants told me that in our state, a spouse CAN be forced to testify against their spouse in court. But on the internet, I see numerous attorneys saying that a spouse CANNOT be forced to testify against their spouse who is charged with assaulting them. Which is true?

Sieben Edmunds PLLC
Sieben Edmunds PLLC | Samuel Edmunds
First, I would strongly recommend that you sit down for a private consultation with an experienced attorney. It would likely be to your benefit for you to hire a lawyer to represent you - to help you exercise your rights. Generally, Minnesota does have a spousal privilege that prevents one spouse from being compelled to testify against the other. There are exceptions to that privilege however. One of those exceptions applies when it is alleged that a crime was committed by one spouse against the other. That exception may apply here.