Can I be forced to pay child support in Colorado if she is a millionaire? 1 Answers as of January 21, 2011

So... Here's the short version... she got pregnant early 2009. Wouldn't let me see the child at all. STILL won't let me see the child. She's a millionaire, and my question is, what legal actions could I take / be taken against me? Can I be forced to pay child support if she's a millionaire? Can she stop me from meeting the child as she has done so far?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
John E. Kirchner, Attorney at Law
John E. Kirchner, Attorney at Law | John Kirchner
The short answer is, "yes", you can be forced to pay child support once it is judicially determined that you are the biological father. Whether that will happen, or how much you would have to pay, cannot be answered from the limited information provided. Stating the she is a "millionaire" doesn't provide any information about what her income is, or what your income is, and total parental income is what determines how much child support each parent is responsible for. If judicial proceedings are initiated to establish child support, you can ensure that those proceedings include a determination of what specific parenting rights and responsibilities you have, including a schedule of time with the child to be a parent. Until there is a court order telling you what your rights are, the only realistic "right" you have is the right to go to court and get those rights spelled out in a court order.
Answer Applies to: Colorado
Replied: 1/21/2011
Click to View More Answers: