Can I be forced to do community service in a county that is over 3 hours away from my home town? 1 Answers as of February 18, 2011

I was charged for a Minor in Consumption of Alcohol in a county over three hours away from my home county. The original sentence was a 264 dollar fine a AA class, and if I were to take the AA class the judge would reduce the amount paid by 100 dollars. I called up to the court to get everything situated and now they are saying that I owe 264 dollars AA class and 8 hours of community service, in the county I was given the ticket. I am a full time student in college and have a full time job. Is it legally just for the judge to require me to do community service in their county?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
The Purnell Law Firm
The Purnell Law Firm | Simon Purnell
Depending on the county, you should be able to get the hours transferred to your county of residence. Speak to the person who would be in charge of verifying the hours and they should be able to explain how to get that accomplished (but make sure you do so before doing the hours in your county of residence or you may loose the time you spend).
Answer Applies to: Texas
Replied: 2/18/2011
Click to View More Answers: