Can I be fired if I do not sign this paper? 1 Answers as of April 20, 2011

My employer just gave me this paper that they want me to sign. I work from home and the paper states if anything happens to my computer I will have it repaired or replaced in 60 mins or if internet or electricity that agree to go to a fedex center, and bring my work phone and work there within 60 mins and if anything happens to the phone that they provided for me that I agree to use my home or cell phone. Can I be fired if I don't sign this paper? They are pushing very hard for me to sign it and I think considering I make $8.00 an hour that was their asking is a bit much. I just really need an opinion based on the law.

Law Office of Neal L. Weinstein
Law Office of Neal L. Weinstein | Neal L. Weinstein
I don't know what state you are in, but if you are working as an independent contractor, they can fire you with or without cause. If you have an employment contract, the terms of the contract will dictate if they can fire you, but generally this type of post-contract demand will not be enforceable in an employment contract. Also, if they are not reimbursing you for your costs at the fed-ex center and travel, then you should find other employment. Assuming you are a telephone sales agent, you would have no "real" employment contract, but only employment "demands" made by them, which are enforceable as long as you continue to work for these lousy wages.
Answer Applies to: Maine